We are a community of learners and leaders whose values include character, excellence, service, team and joy! Boasting committed teachers as well as involved families and community partners, Smith offers students opportunities to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. Providing daily instruction that is both rigorous and relevant, Smith teachers strive diligently to equip students with the skills and competencies they will need as life-long learners and global citizens of the 21st century.
As principal, my vision for Smith Elementary is to continue the traditions of academic excellence, collaborative teamwork and character development that have been so deeply embedded within Smith’s culture. To realize this vision, Smith’s faculty will continue to implement research-based practices within classrooms and challenge learners to acquire fundamental academic skills as we require that they use these competencies to solve problems and create solutions.
In addition, we will begin introducing and learning about the Seven Habits outlined in Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s book, The "Leader in Me". These principles include:
1. Be Proactive (I am in charge of me.)
2. Begin with the End in Mind (Have a plan.)
3. Put First Things First (Work first, then play.)
4. Seek Win-Win (Everybody can win.)
5. Seek First to Understand then to be Understood (Listen before you talk.)
6. Synergize (Together is better.)
7. Sharpen the Saw (Balance feels best. Take time to recharge physically, mentally, spiritually, and socially.)
These principles will provide a strong foundation for learners’ success in school and in life. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with these habits and to support your students as they begin to learn and understand these principles. To learn more about the Seven Habits check out leaderinme.org